How do I use OpenVPN with your service on Android?
For users running a recent version of Android (typically anything "Ice Cream Sandwich" and above), you are now able to connect to OpenVPN servers without requiring to root/jailbreak your phone like you had to for previous versions. The setup procedure is a little complicated at first, but once it's setup, it should work flawlessly.
We are looking into automating this setup in the future to make things more convenient for our users.
To setup OpenVPN:
- You will need to download "OpenVPN for Android" from the android market - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.blinkt.openvpn
- Get a copy of your OpenVPN keys and certificates and server configuration files onto your devices SD card. You can request these from our members area by clicking the "Generate server configs" and "regenerate OpenVPN keys" buttons.
- Run the above application on your device, and press "Import" (folder icon) in the top right corner or lower right corner on some devices.
- Select a .ovpn server configuration file for the server you want to use, that you copied in the previous step.
- Click the small slider image to the right of the "imported profile" you just created, and then "edit VPN settings" in the top right corner.
- Under the "Basic" tab give your server profile a name. Eg: "PrivateVPN Australia"
- Go to the "advanced" tab, click "custom options" and remove the line saying "dh dh2048.pem" if its there.
- That's it! Just back out of the settings and you can now select your new profile to connect to the server.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.